Creating Your Own Monogram


 
Ever since I can remember I've loved monograms and would want to put my monogram on anything and everything that was a possibility.  I think my love of the monogram started at infancy when my Mom's ever stylish friend, Carol, gave me my very own pewter cup monogrammed with my initials.  This is a cup that I still own, cherish and use to this day.  On the day Carol gave me the cup, I like to think that my few days old self glanced over at her, gave her a wink of appreciation and a nod as if to say "Ah yes, Carol you are my style spirit animal." 




My pewter cup that I've had since infancy.



Once, I entered the toddler years, I had this killer red sweater with my initials monogrammed in white at the center just below the neckline.  Sigh...I miss that sweater.  Then when I was elementary school age my town had this store called The Edge of the Rainbow (or Beyond the Rainbow???  I don't 100% remember the name.) that was pretty much every young girl from the 80's dream.   Did you ever see those signs in coffee shops that say "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy?"  Well, The Edge of the Rainbow was essentially the equivalent of giving a 5 year old girl an espresso and a free puppy.  Parents would bring their daughters there with fear in their eyes as their girls ooooo'd and aaahhh'd at music boxes, jewelry boxes, jewelry, room decor and more that could all be personalized.  That store was my mothership but sadly it only lasted a few years.  Flash forward 30 years later and this monogram loving girl is still obsessed only now my monograms come in the form of towels and pillows.  Because of this I was intrigued by the idea of designing my own monogram and embroidering it onto something.  For this project I chose a pillow but really once you get the understanding of how I did it you can pretty much design your own monogram and put it anywhere.


For this project you will need:

  • Graph paper
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  • Cardboard
  • Exacto knife
  • Fabric to embroider
  • Chalk pencil 
  • Embroidery needle and hoop
  • Embroidery thread


To design the monogram:

Step 1:  Trace the design of your monogram onto graph paper.  The reason I recommend using graph paper is because you can use the grid lines as a guide to make sure you are making your letters the same thickness all around.  Once you like your drawing cut it out using the scissors or the exacto knife for those hard to reach areas.



Step 2:  Trace the letter/s onto a piece of cardboard.  The cardboard will serve as your template for tracing the monogram onto the item you want to embroider.


 
Step 3:  Using an exacto knife, cut your monogram out of the cardboard.



It should look something like this when done.


 
Step 4:  Trace your template onto the item you want to embroider with a chalk pencil.  Keep in mind that if you want to embroider a pillow like I did you will need to cut out the pattern pieces of the pillow first.  Don't sew the pillow together yet though.  Just take the piece that will have the monogram on it and center the monogram on the fabric and trace.  It should look similar to this when done.




Step 5:  Place fabric in embroidery hoop and embroider using your favorite embroidery stitches.  If embroidery is new to you, I find this tutorial from Craftsy quite helpful for how to's on some common stitches.



Step 6:  Once you are finished embroidering, you are done.  Unless of course you are making a pillow or some other item that you need to finish...but the monogram part is done.


A closer view of my finished monongram.

I hope you have fun designing your own unique lettering for your monogram and put monograms on all sorts of items.

Keep living a stylish life till next time, Dear Readers!

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top