Handmade Gift Series - Gift #1 The Skinny Scarf

Tis the season dear readers!  There are so many wonderful traditions at Christmastime and one of my favorites is the tradition of gift giving.  When a gift is made by hand by a loved one it is especially wonderful and heartwarming.  That is why I've been working hard on a handmade series of gifts that you can make and give your loved ones.  First up, a quick to make but oh so stylish skinny scarf!

Modeling my finished skinny scarf.


To make your skinny scarf you will need:

  • Fabric (I bought 1 1/2 yards so that I could make a few scarves)
  • Decorative trim (I bought a yard)
  • Corresponding fabric
  • Fabric shears
  • Chalk pencil
  • Straight Pins
  • Sewing Machine
  • Hand needle
Note:  If you want your scarf to look like mine, I used ivory satin fabric and a faux leather gold trim from Joann's.  I know the gold trim seems expensive but remember Joann's always has coupons and lets you use multiples.  I paid no where near that price.

Directions:

Step 1:  Iron and prep your fabric

Step 2:  Cut two pieces of fabric 6 inches wide by 47 inches long.

Step 3:  Pin pieces right side together and sew together at one shorter side.  Use a 5/8 inch inseam.  It should look something like this...

Seam the two pieces together to make one long rectangle.

 Step 4:  Press the seam open.

Step 5:  Get creative with your trim and decide on the layout and placement.  I found this gold faux leather trim that I loved and decided two stripes placed equal distance apart at the ends of the scarf was the way I wanted to go.  When figuring out the placement of your trim, it's important to remember to include the 5/8 inch seam allowance.  For example, if you want your trim to start one inch from the end of the scarf you will need to place it 1 5/8 inches from the end of the fabric.  Once the placement looks good to you, pin it in place.


My trim, pinned and ready to go.





 Step 6:  Sew trim to the fabric.  It will look something like this.


Step 7:  Fold the fabric in half lengthwise so that the right sides are together and the wrong side are facing out.  Press and pin together.

Pressed and ready to sew.
Step 8:  Sew down the long side and at one short end using a 5/8 inch seam allowance.

Note: if you use a satin fabric like I did keep in mind that is can be difficult to sew.  Use a shorter stitch length to help keep the fabric from pulling.

Shorter stitch lengths help sew difficult satin fabrics.


Step 9:  Press the seam to one side.

Step 10:  Turn right side out.

Step 11:  Press flat.  If you use a trim that is heat sensitive like the faux leather, put a t-shirt or some fabric between the trim and the iron so you don't scorch the trim.



Step 12:  Slip stitch the open end of the scarf closed.

Ta dah!  All done!  You are no ready to wrap up and gift your scarf.

Here I am modeling my favorite way to wear the scarf.  Double wrapped around the neck and tied.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you make a skinny scarf and give it to someone special this holiday season.  If you do so, please be sure to let me know how it turned out!

I'll be back soon with another handmade gift to give.  Till next time, dear readers!

P.S.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @cornerofcharmandstyle

2 comments

  1. This looks darling! I love the faux leather gold trim! Wish I could get my stitches to stay straight - I can't even with a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top