Mother's Day Brunch

Recently Dave and I hosted a Mother's Day Brunch for my Mother and his Parents and Sister.  From the moment we decided to host I began thinking of ideas to make it a special day from the menu to the details of the table scape.  We were planning to host our brunch outside in the lovely warm May sun but the finicky New England weather didn't cooperate with us. No problem though, we just moved our celebration indoors!

I really wanted to make the day extra lovely for our Moms as both have had their own set of challenges recently.  To add a bit of elegance to the table, I used my Mom's china, which I have since inherited.  (Thanks Mom!)  And of course you can never go wrong with a floral center piece so I added some pale pink miniature roses in a crystal vase...simple, elegant and right in line with the theme.





I wrapped the silverware in gold beaded cloth napkins and added a miniature rose tied with ribbon to coordinate with the rose pattern of the china.


I hand drew flowers onto card stock and added a decorative border to serve as place cards.  To add a thoughtful touch and give the moms a little warm fuzzy, I created cards that Dave and I both filled out with some of our favorite things about them.

With the table taken care of it was time to focus on the food.  The menu consisted of cobb salad, grilled pork tenderloin with romesco sauce, barley and sweet potato salad, and roasted brussel sprouts with bacon.  I have a serious sweet tooth and am always looking for an excuse to try a new recipe.  I made fresh strawberry cake with a cream cheese and whipped cream icing.  I got the recipe from Lela Rose's book, Pret-a-Party, which I had received as a Christmas gift.  She has some truly amazing recipes and unique party ideas.  This recipe is the first thing I tried from her book and it did not disappoint!  In addition, I made some homemade hazelnut truffles to satisfy the chocoholics, which was pretty much everyone in attendance at our little shindig.  They were worth the effort and will definitely be made again!
The cake and those truffles....mmmmm.....

The truffle recipe I got from a chocolate making class I took a few years back at local Chocolatier, Fascia's Chocolates.  If you are a Connecticut native and haven't already, I highly recommend you check them out.  Their raspberry caramels are to die for!

Overall, it ended up being a very nice day of good food, great family, and the celebration of two of the most fabulous women I know!










No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Back to Top